Combination of CL & Regular Leave - Permissible?

Discussion in 'Leave' started by donyi_polo, Nov 21, 2012.

1. donyi_polo

donyi_polo Staff Member

It is known that Casual Leave (CL) cannot be combined with any kind of recognised leave. Now my question is that how a half day's CL availed of by an employee in the afternoon is to be treated if he has no further CL to his credit but is unable to resume duty on the next working day due to unexpected sickness or other compelling grounds and has to avail of regular leave to cover his absence for that working day?

2. 10moy

10moy Staff Member

As per my knowledge the 1/2 days cl along with the unexpected period of absence from duty will be treated as earned leave / medical leave and the 1/2 day cl will be forfitted.

3. donyi_polo

donyi_polo Staff Member

Do you want to mean the half day's CL will be converted to a half day's EL or Medical Leave before clubbing with that kind of leave? Now another question arises - whether there is any provision of grant of half day's EL or ML!

4. mihiracharya

mihiracharya Staff Member

As far I know, in our schooling system, there is no provision of half day C.L.in our leave rule. We maintain a register ( normal exercise book), where the teacher shall sign, put the date and time of departure and take a half leave after 3rd/4th period and it is only one time in a month for his/her urgency. He/she may be allowed for the next month to get such leave. We consider his/her case sympathetically, nothing else.
    Thanks a lot.

5. som

som Staff Member

Referring Rule 167 of W.B.S.R Part-I, Explanation-3.
    Combining half-a-day's casual leave—Regarding the question as to how half-a-day's casual leave availed of by an officer in the afternoon is to be treated if the officer has no casual leave in his credit but he is unable to resume his duty on the next working day due to sickness or other compelling grounds and has to avail of regular leave to cover his absence for that working day, such Government employee, as an exception to the general rule, be permitted to combine half-a-day's casual leave with regular leave.
    Those who have only half-a-day's casual leave at their credit and who will not attend office on the Next working day (having already applied for leave of the kind due and admissible to cover their absence on that working day or subsequent days, if any), shall not be allowed the last half-a-day's casual leave for the afternoon.

6. donyi_polo

donyi_polo Staff Member

Why cannot CL be combined with any kind of regular leaves when one spell of regular leave can be combined with another kind in continuation of the entire period of absence or one kind of regular leave can be converted to another kind?

7. Torkona

Torkona Staff Member

As fer my knowledge, Since nature of Casual Leave and Compensatory Leave are same also they are not enlisted in service book, therefore their nature is different from other leaves. May be this is the reason...
    lets wait for other comment.

8. Ray

Ray Staff Member

Except on special circumstances (as stipulated in Rule 167 of W.B.S.R Part-I, Explanation-3) C.L. can not be clubbed with other Leave because being on C.L. does not mean being absent from duty. You can do your regular jobs in Office even if you are on C.L.

9. nemo

nemo Staff Member

There is no provision of half days EL/ML.

So, in such condition the total period of absence(including the first half), may be treated as EL/ML.

10. donyi_polo

donyi_polo Staff Member

The situation becomes complicated when the employee signs the attendance register in the first half, and takes a half-day's CL in the 2nd half. How to convert the full day into an EL or Medical Leave when, as per office record (attendance register), he was 'on duty' in the first half in the office!

11. Ray

Ray Staff Member

Why the situation will be complicated? If the employee has only a half-day CL left and he is not supposed to attend the Office on the next morning, the second half CL for the day will not be granted. If he has no alternative else leaving office in the second half, he will have to take E.L. for the whole day. It may be unjustified, but we had to follow the rules unless and until it is amended.

12. donyi_polo

donyi_polo Staff Member

How to account for his presence ('on duty') in the first half of the day of EL or ML? Whether the 'on duty' session (first half) will be treated as absent from the duty!

13. Ray

Ray Staff Member

No other option else disallowing him to leave the office, what I feel, if the rule is to be strictly followed.

14. donyi_polo

donyi_polo Staff Member

Rule 167 of W.B.S.R Part-I, Explanation-3.
    "Combining half-a-day's casual leave—Regarding the question as to how half-a-day's casual leave availed of by an officer in the afternoon is to be treated if the officer has no casual leave in his credit but he is unable to resume his duty on the next working day due to sickness or other compelling grounds and has to avail of regular leave to cover his absence for that working day, such Government employee, as an exception to the general rule, be permitted to combine half-a-day's casual leave with regular leave.

Those who have only half-a-day's casual leave at their credit and who will not attend office on the Next working day (having already applied for leave of the kind due and admissible to cover their absence on that working day or subsequent days, if any), shall not be allowed the last half-a-day's casual leave for the afternoon."

As I understand the provision in the 2nd para of the rule disallows half-day's CL for the afternoon when the absence on the next working day is PRE-PLANNED. Therefore, the afternoon session for which he applies for half CL will be also treated as 'on duty' as half-day's CL cannot be granted. He will get only the regular leave on the next working days.

15. Ray

Ray Staff Member

Yes, that's why I stated it.
    and
    But, if you think on humanitarian ground, the rule has much scope for further modification.

16. nemo

nemo Staff Member

Leave sanctioning authority should sanction half-days-CL only after observing the presence of the employee on next working day, to avoid violation of rule for the above mentioned situation.

17. donyi_polo

donyi_polo Staff Member

Pls see the 1st para of the rule. Even if the employee cannot attend the office on the next working day due to sickness or on some other compelling grounds, he may be allowed to avail of a regular leave for the next day of absence, and will be allowed to club previous day's half CL with that regular leave. This is an exceptional situation. Taking leave on the next working day is NOT a pre-planned approach. So, the authority is not supposed to wait to see whether he is present or not on the next working day, before permitting him to avail of half CL in the afternoon.

18. Ray

Ray Staff Member

Sorry,I failed to understand where is the problem? The following things have been indicated in the related rules -

1. A full day CL can not be clubbed with any other kind of leave other than Compensatory Casual Leave.
    2. Generally, a half day CL can not be clubbed with any other kind of leave other than Compensatory Casual Leave.
    3. Half-day CL (when no further CL is left, i.e. the last half CL) can only be clubbed with other kinds of Leave in exceptional case where the Employee is unable to resume his duty on the next working day due to sickness or other compelling grounds and has to avail of regular leave to cover his absence for that working day.
    4. The last half CL can not be granted in the second half of the day if the Employee if it is known to the Office that the employee will be on leave from the next morning.

Now, if one employee submits a CL application to avail his last half day CL for second half of a particular day, it may be granted after checking whether he has applied for any other kind of leave from the next morning onward. If such information is available, he will not be allowed the last half CL as prayed for. If there is no such information available, his last half CL will be granted and in that case if the employee fails to join the office in the next morning for reasons as stipulated, he will be allowed to club the last half CL with other kind of leave.

On the receipt of one's last half CL application, in the first instance, the Office will check if there is any information as regards his absence on or from the next morning and will act accordingly. There is no need to wait.

19. donyi_polo

donyi_polo Staff Member

@Ray
    Yes, I fully agree! This is what I wanted to mean in context of the provision in 1st para of rule 167. Taking a regular leave on next working day(s) AFTER availing of a half-day's CL in the previous day is permissible in an exceptional situation as it is NOT a pre-planned exercise by the employee. In this case the regular leave is not sanctioned prior to grant of a half-day's CL.