I am posting the text version of the above G.O.
Government of West Bengal
Home (Constitution and Election) Department
21, Netaji Subhas Road, Kolkata – 700001
From: Chief Secretary to the Government of West Bengal.
To: Principal Secretary / Secretary, ....................................
No. 2272-Home(Elec)/R10E-8/2007, Kolkata 24, October 2007.
Subject: Summary Revision of Electoral Rolls with reference to 1 January 2008 as the qualifying date in West Bengal – organizing State Govt, Semi-State Govt employees for duties.
The Electoral Commission of India has ordered a Summary Revision of electoral rolls with reference to 1 January 2008 as the qualifying date in West Bengal. The work of roll-revision will be done in a number of stages with the publication of draft photo-electoral rolls on 14th November 2007 in all 294 Assembly constituencies.
2. (i) The entire exercise of the coming Summary Revision of electoral rolls, and preparatory work relating to this, within the fixed time is undoubtedly a huge task. Naturally, the District Election Officers (DEOs) will require the services of a large number of staff members of different State Government offices, State Government undertakings, statutory bodies, district school boards, etc for this purpose. Besides, for the purpose of supervision and monitoring of the exercise, some Supervision-cum-Liaison Officers will also be required.
(ii) For proper display of the draft photo-electoral rolls at the polling stations, municipal offices, panchayat offices, school/ college buildings the cooperation of the authorities under whose control such buildings lie, is also absolutely necessary.
3. You are, therefore, requested to issue necessary instructions immediately to all the State Government offices / undertakings (including Government-aided institutions), all local bodies, all district school boards, etc. under the administrative control of your department.
(i) to spare the employees, if asked for by the Electoral Registration Officer (ERO) concerned for the period required;
(ii) to extend full co-operation to the EROs for display of parts of the draft photo-electoral rolls for inspection, and to the Designated Officers and Booth Level Officers for their functioning in connection with the preparatory work, submission of claims and objections at the relevant premises / buildings during normal office hours on all except Sundays if a Special Campaign does not fall on Sunday, and other public holidays under NI Act during the period in question, and
(iii) to make available vehicles attached to those offices for supervision of the coming Summary Revision of electoral rolls.
4. In this connection, attention of all State Government / Semi-State Government employees may kindly be drawn to the provision of the Rule 13 of The West Bengal Service Rules, Part – I and that of the Section 32 of the Representation of the Peoples Act, 1950. In accordance with the provisions indicated above, absence from this duty without obtaining prior permission of the DEO / ERO concerned may attract disciplinary action.
5. This may please be treated as extremely urgent.
6. Receipt may kindly be acknowledged.
Sd/- Amit Kiran Deb
Chief Secretary to the Govt of West Bengal
Love for All; Hatred for None.