For DDO's, -What a deductor must do?

I.T., S.T., P.T., VAT.
Posts: 23
Joined: 21 Feb 2012, 21:31

For DDO's, -What a deductor must do?

Unread postby droy » 03 Mar 2012, 15:23

What a deductor must do?

1. Obtain TAN

Every deductor is required to obtain a unique identification number called TAN (Tax Deduction Account Number) which is a ten digit alpha numeric number e.g.DELH90468K.

This number has to be quoted by the deductor in every correspondence related to Income Tax matters concerning TDS.

2. He/She should obtain PAN of the deductee.

3. He/She should deduct the tax at correct rate.

4. The tax deducted has to be deposited in the designated banks within specified time (Govt. deductors shall transfer the tax deducted through book entry in Government account).This is detailed below:

▬ By or on behalf of the Government : on the same day,

▬ By or on behalf of any other person : before the 7th of the following month.

However, if the amount is credited in the books on 31st March then the tax should be remitted by 31st May.

Note: w.e.f., 01.04.2008 electronic payment of tax has to be done by all corporate assessees and all persons whose cases are auditable.

5. Use challan no. 281 for depositing TDS amount.

6. File statements of tax deduction in the prescribed time.

The due dates for filing of TDS/TCS statement and form no. 27Q are :

15th of July for Quarter 1,

15th of October for Quarter 2,

15th of January for Quarter 3 and

15th June for last Quarter however for TCS statements the due date is 30th April.

All Tax deductors have to compulsorily file Quarterly TDS returns through computer media with Tax information network- facilitation Counters (TIN-FC) appointed by NSDL duly supported by a declaration in form no. 27A in paper.

7. Use correct form to file TDS/TCS Returns. They are:

Form 24Q for salaries

Form 26Q for non salaries

Form 27Q for payment to NR/NRI

Form 27EQ for TCS

Form 27A/27B Control sheet for electronic TDS/TCS

It may be noted that the following persons have to compulsorily file e-TDS /e-TCS statements

·All government offices/Departments

·All companies /corporations

·All persons whose cases are auditable

·All persons whose TDS statements contain more than 50 deductees.

Dos & Don'ts for filing TDS Returns


·Ensure that TDS return is filed with same TAN against which TDS payment has been made & TDS certificate is issued.

·Ensure that correct challan particulars including CIN and amount is mentioned in TDS challan.

·Correct PAN of the deductee is mentioned.

·Correct section is quoted against each deductee record.

·Correct rate is quoted against each deductee record.

·File correction statement as soon as discrepancy is noticed

·Retain the original FVU file to enable future corrections

·Make use of free of charge RPU provided through

·Download details of challan from challan status enquiry (TAN based view) from

·Registration for TAN enables you to avail additional facilities from Tax Information System.

·Always verify status of TDS returns from Tin NSDL to ascertain the discrepancy, if any, and/or whether your TDS return stands accepted or rejected by the system.


·Don't file late returns as it affects deductee tax credit

·Don't quote incorrect TAN vis-à-vis TDS payments

The process of filing of e-TDS /e-TCS returns is available in detail at following websites or

8. Issue TDS certificates as per existing procedure and within the time prescribed as stated below:

The certificate should be issued within one month from the end of the month in which the income is credited however for credit entries made on 31st March, due date is 7th June, except in the case of salary where the certificate has to be issued by 30th of April of the following financial year in which the income was credited.

9. File e-TBAF (In case of Govt. DDO's where TDS is credited in Central Govt. account through book adjustments)

For information visit: ... ations.php
With best wishes,
Debashis Roy
Posts: 23
Joined: 21 Feb 2012, 21:31

Re: For DDO's, -What a deductor must do?

Unread postby droy » 04 Mar 2012, 11:41

Recently, Income Tax Dept. sending letters to the the DDO's for short deduction, wrong entry of PAN No. in 24Q statements of the employees, though they have deducted correct tax from employees for book entry through Treasury to Income Tax Department. So, they need to request for the consolidated TDS/TCS statement from the TIN website which will faciliate preparation of correction statement. In order to avail this facility, DDO's need to register their TAN online on the TIN website. Detailed procedure to register your TAN and request for consolidated TDS/TCS statement are available at: then go to 'TDS' then go to 'TAN Registration'. After downloading the consolidated TDS/TCS statement they will be able to identify their mistake and submit correction statements in 24Q (Latest software should be used). Thanks,
With best wishes,
Debashis Roy

Return to “Tax”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests